Friday, February 8, 2008

Lunar New Year

Christmas isn't a big deal in Korea, but the New Year is important enough that it's one of two times in the bloody year the poor suckers who signed on for work at my company get off. In preparation for the holiday, all the grocery stores become high-end, selling incredibly expensive gift boxes of various products (remember, 1,000 won is about $1.00): old ginseng roots for 250,000 won, 175,000 won mushrooms, ridiculously overpriced booze, and of course, these:

Spam gift box!
More Spam!

Sometimes, the Korean War influence of the USA is blindingly obvious. Brand-name Spam, rather than being the only meat poor people can afford, is a luxury food.

Tastes vary so much between cultures.

I actually got a gift from my school, which was nice, and it was obviously expensive and high-end, judging by the packaging:
Weird New Year candy

I'm grateful for the consideration it shows, but I find the items I've tried so far unpalatable.

Next: How I Spent my Holiday.

No comments: