Sunday, January 27, 2008

Art

In addition to wasting time on the Interent and weekend journeys into Seoul and the rare drunken night with coworkers, I've been trying to get back into my former creative self. It's been going slower than I'd like, but it's happening, so that's relatively pleasing.

I'm working on a comic book (I came up with the concept for the series and the characters and wrote and finished issue 1 inside a month, and still haven't finished issue 2 since I started on it in August), the writing of which has been suffering and ignored and put off because of my usual winter creative drought (I'm trying, but it's hard), but since Bryan delayed so much on the character drawings, I've decided to try sketching them on my own. This has led to a sort of rediscovery of my love of drawing, and I've been sketching and even drawing in fountain pen in my sketchbook on my breaks from work. The kids are all very impressed by my drawings and many demanded photocopies since I wouldn't give up the originals. Makes me feel good. But I feel especially good that I'm starting to figure out some good approaches to drawing my comic characters, and if Bryan persists in being too busy with other things to work on the comic, I may eventually be able to draw it all myself.

To this end (and also because I wanted 'em), I ended up in Hongdae yesterday, the area around Hongik University, which is full of art shops. I bought myself a mannakin and a wooden hand for reference purposes. Here they are saying hello:
Mannakins

Hopefully they'll be useful. Now if only the next 8 to 12 weeks would pass so I could get my Manga Studio for Dummies book...

No comments: