Thursday, January 10, 2008

Flower Handsome Boy

For the last two weeks, three of the girls in what was once my quieter middle-school class have not been able to look at me without breaking into a fit of giggles. My assumption was that one of the three has developed a crush on Teacher, which I believe has been confirmed today, when one of my giggly students said, to the extreme embarrassment of her friend, "teacher, someone say you.. um.. flower handsome boy."

Now, of course, handsome is nice, but flower boy? Are they calling me hot, or calling me gay? I asked if that's a good thing or a bad thing, and the class was generally unanimous with "good thing", though the boys had some broken-English qualifiers to add. But who can believe students?

So I looked it up when I got home, and the only mention I find online Korean-wise of "flower boy" is in reference to Super Junior, one of those manufactured boy-bands that the girls are crazy for whose name I always see my students writing on the back of their test papers with hearts all over them. Apparently the members of Super Junior are "flower boys" and the major item of controversy about them is which one is handsomest.

So my assumption is that it means good-looking in the way that makes twelve- and thirteen-year-old girls swoon.

I'm sure they mean it as a good thing, but it's not exactly the look I'm going for.

I'm not sure how to close this. Just another bizarre occurrence in the foreigner's life.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Awww! Isn't that cute?! They think you belong in a boyband. Hey, maybe you could be since you got a sax again... ;)
I say take a compliment where you can get it, even if it's from a hormone-filled pre-teen. :D