Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Tears and violence

I made a kid cry today!

I'm a bit proud of that. Because he very much deserved it.

In my youngest class, I've several students who stand out in some way - either they're very good, or very bad, or very annoying, or outspoken, or whatever. Two of my more notable students were involved in this incident: Peter, a child who I consider my absolute worst student since he rarely does his homework and never pays attention in class, and Jack, who participates and talks and is pleasant to have but isn't the most gifted of my kids.

During the break, Jack was goofing around near Peter's desk, and he bumped into it, knocking down Peter's pencil case and scattering the dozens of tiny origami stars which were located therein. Peter saw this and lost it. He stalked after Jack menacingly, which could have been construed as playful if you happened not to look at his wrath-filled eyes. Jack was backing off, not fully realizing how enraged Peter was, and I gave a warning, "Peter, don't touch Jack!" But I was ignored, and Peter threw an angry punch at the unsuspecting child.

Immediately I rose up in righteous vengeance like Jehovah in the good old days, seized Peter's arm, and bellowed, "PETER. DOWNSTAIRS. NOW." And dragged him from the room. I stopped him near the stairwell, and saw that he - the aggressor - was crying. I guess he hadn't expected consequences for that kind of ridiculous behaviour. He and Jack were sent downstairs and stayed there talking to the administrators for a good half-hour while the rest of my class was eerily quiet until their return. Never before had I had as easy a time with that group of children as after I chewed Peter out for hitting Jack. I put the fear of Teacher into them.

Let's see if they stay good.


It occurs to me sometimes that my job, especially with the younger classes, is not so much teaching the kids as it is getting through the material as best I can while maintaining as much control as possible in the classroom. In the better classes I feel like they actually learn, but with the rowdier ones and the one wherein most of them do their best to make themselves invisible and inaudible, my job is more just getting on with everything within the prescribed amount of time while making sure some of the kids understand what's been happening.

Of course, I mainly feel that way when I have to deal with behaviour problems.

No comments: