Saturday, January 19, 2008

A story from my "good" class

One of my classes is an absolute joy to teach. The kids are attentive but not boring, they care a lot, they're respectful and playful, and they're really smart. Sally, one of those kids, is an absolute doll... she listens, always participates, writes down EVERYTHING, is a keen learner...

We have one exercise where they have to verbally create sentences using templates. On Friday, one of them was, "I want to know everything about... because..."

Her example was, "I want to know everything about USA because I want to go to USA." She had written it down, too.

I asked her, "Why do you want to go to the USA?" Her answer: "Because I want to learn English."

I told her, jokingly, "Ah, you should go to Canada. We speak much better English over there, and it's so much nicer!"

I kept teaching, and on my next pass by her desk I happened to look down at her book. She had written in "Canada" beside "USA" in her sentence.

For some reason, that makes me feel good. Respected, perhaps.

Kids aren't all bad.

No comments: